HomeForumGeneralCockney Latic Main ForumTop Five FA Cup Finals Ever
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: Top Five FA Cup Finals Ever

Top Five FA Cup Finals Ever 1 month 1 day ago #174896

  • LostockHallLatic
  • LostockHallLatic's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Reserve Team Player
  • Posts: 1712
  • Thank you received: 156
  • Karma: 11
Well, we must be in it !
Today is the first day of the rest of the season !
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Top Five FA Cup Finals Ever 1 month 1 day ago #174899

  • Edwards
  • Edwards's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • 1st Year Apprentice
  • Posts: 177
  • Thank you received: 28
  • Karma: 2
We’d be top if it’d been on BBC

Its definitely my favourite!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Top Five FA Cup Finals Ever 1 month 1 day ago #174911

  • muttywhitedog
  • muttywhitedog's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Reserve Team Player
  • Posts: 1263
  • Thank you received: 92
  • Karma: 0
I'd only be a favourite in Wigan because of the result. In terms of entertainment value for the neutral spectator, it wouldn't feature, same as Wimbledon v Liverpool wouldn't.

Liverpool v West Ham was a cracker.
City v Spurs in 81
Arsenal v Hull
Man Utd v Palace in 1990
Coventry v Spurs in 1987
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Top Five FA Cup Finals Ever 1 month 18 hours ago #174913

  • MR Brownbill
  • MR Brownbill's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Reserve Team Player
  • Posts: 1233
  • Thank you received: 72
  • Karma: -31
Puts into perspective what we achieved at Wembley and in the win last season after the way they demolished Watford yesterday. Maybe they should have contacted Cooky,Martinez for advice.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Top Five FA Cup Finals Ever 1 month 15 hours ago #174917

  • donnys page
  • donnys page's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • 1st Team Manager
  • Posts: 4862
  • Thank you received: 754
  • Karma: 33
MR Brownbill wrote:
Puts into perspective what we achieved at Wembley and in the win last season after the way they demolished Watford yesterday. Maybe they should have contacted Cooky,Martinez for advice.
Or even The Great Paul Jewell and Uwe Rosler.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Top Five FA Cup Finals Ever 1 month 13 hours ago #174918

  • Edwards
  • Edwards's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • 1st Year Apprentice
  • Posts: 177
  • Thank you received: 28
  • Karma: 2
donnys page wrote:
MR Brownbill wrote:
Puts into perspective what we achieved at Wembley and in the win last season after the way they demolished Watford yesterday. Maybe they should have contacted Cooky,Martinez for advice.
Or even The Great Paul Jewell and Uwe Rosler.

Or, here’s one for you to answer donny, the manager in 70/71
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Top Five FA Cup Finals Ever 1 month 13 hours ago #174920

  • Nuneatonlatic
  • Nuneatonlatic's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • 1st Team Player
  • Posts: 3953
  • Thank you received: 481
  • Karma: -5
Edwards wrote:
donnys page wrote:
MR Brownbill wrote:
Puts into perspective what we achieved at Wembley and in the win last season after the way they demolished Watford yesterday. Maybe they should have contacted Cooky,Martinez for advice.
Or even The Great Paul Jewell and Uwe Rosler.

Or, here’s one for you to answer donny, the manager in 70/71


You won't catch Donny out with that one lad but I won't answer it myself and let him tell you.
One life One love One Wigan Athletic

The real Melchester Rovers
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edwards

Top Five FA Cup Finals Ever 1 month 13 hours ago #174921

  • Edwards
  • Edwards's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • 1st Year Apprentice
  • Posts: 177
  • Thank you received: 28
  • Karma: 2
I didn’t mean it as a trick question, I just don’t have any old programmes to hand.

Out of curiosity does anyone have any recollections of the 70/71 cup tie? I have read the bit from Tony Topping recently posted on Twitter, but never heard much else.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Top Five FA Cup Finals Ever 1 month 11 hours ago #174922

  • Nuneatonlatic
  • Nuneatonlatic's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • 1st Team Player
  • Posts: 3953
  • Thank you received: 481
  • Karma: -5
Edwards wrote:
I didn’t mean it as a trick question, I just don’t have any old programmes to hand.

Out of curiosity does anyone have any recollections of the 70/71 cup tie? I have read the bit from Tony Topping recently posted on Twitter, but never heard much else.

I was 12 at the time and went with the same fella who would take me to Wembley in the trophy final. Played in a brilliant white kit and if I'm not mistaken we hit the post and gave City an almighty game. One of my all time favourite players scored the winner for City. Joe Mercer was so impressed with our manager that day that he took him with him when he went to manage Coventry City.
One life One love One Wigan Athletic

The real Melchester Rovers
Last Edit: 1 month 11 hours ago by Nuneatonlatic.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Top Five FA Cup Finals Ever 1 month 10 hours ago #174923

  • Edwards
  • Edwards's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • 1st Year Apprentice
  • Posts: 177
  • Thank you received: 28
  • Karma: 2
Ah! Gordon Milne.

Thank you Nuneatonlatic. I envy any Latics fan who was there it must have been quite an experience.

I wish the club could dig out the MOTD coverage
Last Edit: 1 month 10 hours ago by Edwards.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Top Five FA Cup Finals Ever 1 month 1 hour ago #174924

  • donnys page
  • donnys page's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • 1st Team Manager
  • Posts: 4862
  • Thank you received: 754
  • Karma: 33
Cracking day with Latics filling the Platter Lane Stand.
Misty murky day. The replay tickets were printed in readiness all 33,333 of them. Shame that never came off because of Dennis Reeves boot splitting.
Remember Doug Coutts saving one on the line and the side included Sir Gordon Milne (way oh) Derek Temple, Graham Oates, Geoff Davies.
Brilliant day.
Waited a long time to revenge that day and have done that in style since with two FA Cup giant killings and the less remembered league cup win oh and a double over them one season in the league.
Sir Gordon Milne, Sir Gordon Milne Way ho!!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edwards

Top Five FA Cup Finals Ever 1 month 45 minutes ago #174925

  • Nuneatonlatic
  • Nuneatonlatic's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • 1st Team Player
  • Posts: 3953
  • Thank you received: 481
  • Karma: -5
donnys page wrote:
Cracking day with Latics filling the Platter Lane Stand.
Misty murky day. The replay tickets were printed in readiness all 33,333 of them. Shame that never came off because of Dennis Reeves boot splitting.
Remember Doug Coutts saving one on the line and the side included Sir Gordon Milne (way oh) Derek Temple, Graham Oates, Geoff Davies.
Brilliant day.
Waited a long time to revenge that day and have done that in style since with two FA Cup giant killings and the less remembered league cup win oh and a double over them one season in the league.
Sir Gordon Milne, Sir Gordon Milne Way ho!!!


You have missed a giant killing out don, 3 times we have put them out since 2013. The final then at their place season after and last season at New Springy
One life One love One Wigan Athletic

The real Melchester Rovers
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Top Five FA Cup Finals Ever 1 month 16 minutes ago #174926

  • donnys page
  • donnys page's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • 1st Team Manager
  • Posts: 4862
  • Thank you received: 754
  • Karma: 33
The one last season was our biggest of the lot. An amazing achievement.
One of the biggest upsets in cup history.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Top Five FA Cup Finals Ever 1 month 14 minutes ago #174927

  • Edwards
  • Edwards's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • 1st Year Apprentice
  • Posts: 177
  • Thank you received: 28
  • Karma: 2
Cheers donny I knew you’d fill us in with some memories
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Top Five FA Cup Finals Ever 4 weeks 2 days ago #174928

  • Nuneatonlatic
  • Nuneatonlatic's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • 1st Team Player
  • Posts: 3953
  • Thank you received: 481
  • Karma: -5
donnys page wrote:
The one last season was our biggest of the lot. An amazing achievement.
One of the biggest upsets in cup history.


Don, was it Davies who hit a post in the City game.
One life One love One Wigan Athletic

The real Melchester Rovers
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Top Five FA Cup Finals Ever 4 weeks 2 days ago #174929

  • donnys page
  • donnys page's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • 1st Team Manager
  • Posts: 4862
  • Thank you received: 754
  • Karma: 33
Can't remember, LHL may do, he's even older than me!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Top Five FA Cup Finals Ever 4 weeks 2 days ago #174931

  • dnr
  • dnr's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Academy Player
  • Posts: 305
  • Thank you received: 30
  • Karma: 0
My top five are the fa cup win obviously, the Brentford 3-1 with David Lowe etc, the league cup, the millwalll one...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Top Five FA Cup Finals Ever 4 weeks 2 days ago #174932

  • Zeb2
  • Zeb2's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • 1st Year Apprentice
  • Posts: 200
  • Thank you received: 43
  • Karma: -2
I was also 12 years old and I remember it reasonably well, Geoff Davies had a header and he bounced it down on the line .....big Joe Corrigan was City’s young up and coming keeper but was prone to some gaffes early in his career ....the thinking was that he wouldn’t easily get down to stuff.....but he pulled off a blinding save and went on to become a superb keeper over a long period of time.

We didn’t hit the woodwork to the best of my recollection but we made them struggle at a point when they were reigning champions and goal scorer Colin Bell was likely the best player in the country at the time but to be fair they they had a lot of cracking players.


Other chief recollection was some young rough arsed City knobhead trying to wrestle my mates Latics scarf off him...(this is inside the ground) ..my mate Al hung on for grim death though and the bugger gave up.

Literally beside myself to see us on Match of the Day that night.....and yes we played in white with blue cuffs and trim ......and numbers !
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edwards

Top Five FA Cup Finals Ever 4 weeks 2 days ago #174935

  • Nuneatonlatic
  • Nuneatonlatic's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • 1st Team Player
  • Posts: 3953
  • Thank you received: 481
  • Karma: -5
Zeb2 wrote:
I was also 12 years old and I remember it reasonably well, Geoff Davies had a header and he bounced it down on the line .....big Joe Corrigan was City’s young up and coming keeper but was prone to some gaffes early in his career ....the thinking was that he wouldn’t easily get down to stuff.....but he pulled off a blinding save and went on to become a superb keeper over a long period of time.

We didn’t hit the woodwork to the best of my recollection but we made them struggle at a point when they were reigning champions and goal scorer Colin Bell was likely the best player in the country at the time but to be fair they they had a lot of cracking players.


Other chief recollection was some young rough arsed City knobhead trying to wrestle my mates Latics scarf off him...(this is inside the ground) ..my mate Al hung on for grim death though and the bugger gave up.

Literally beside myself to see us on Match of the Day that night.....and yes we played in white with blue cuffs and trim ......and numbers !


The header is probably what I was remembering wrong zeb I can remember us going very close and Davies being involved but it was a long time ago. I do remember match of the day and us on it.
One life One love One Wigan Athletic

The real Melchester Rovers
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Top Five FA Cup Finals Ever 4 weeks 2 days ago #174936

  • Goole Away 71
  • Goole Away 71's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • 1st Year Apprentice
  • Posts: 204
  • Thank you received: 20
  • Karma: 1
I was there too. Went with my dad, who sadly passed away in 1996. I wonder what he would have thought of what’s been achieved over the years? We were in in the Kippax and as an innocent teenager I was shouting abuse at Mike Summerbee. To paraphrase Basil Fawlty, ‘I swore once but I think I got away with it!’

Corrigan made two good saves from Davies but we didn’t strike the woodwork. City did hit the bar but a foul was given on Reeves.

Funny, I can remember it as though it was yesterday, but not what I had for my tea yesterday!

Why did the club not get a copy of the MoTD footage?

City were the European Cup Winners cup holders at the time and beat Chelsea 3-0 away in next round before losing to eventual winners Arsenal. So it would have been an easy route if we’d have got through.

Praise all around and should have secured league status. If only we’d given a china bull instead of a pen!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edwards

Top Five FA Cup Finals Ever 4 weeks 2 days ago #174937

  • Edwards
  • Edwards's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • 1st Year Apprentice
  • Posts: 177
  • Thank you received: 28
  • Karma: 2
These are great parts to a brilliant piece of Latics history.

Any more?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Top Five FA Cup Finals Ever 4 weeks 2 days ago #174938

  • donnys page
  • donnys page's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • 1st Team Manager
  • Posts: 4862
  • Thank you received: 754
  • Karma: 33
Newcastle in the Fifties anyone. We were awe struck as kids listening to tales about that one.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Top Five FA Cup Finals Ever 4 weeks 2 days ago #174942

  • Nuneatonlatic
  • Nuneatonlatic's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • 1st Team Player
  • Posts: 3953
  • Thank you received: 481
  • Karma: -5
donnys page wrote:
Newcastle in the Fifties anyone. We were awe struck as kids listening to tales about that one.

Have a day off lad I wasn't born lol. Was it in 53? I think the barcodes went on to win it did they not?


I remember us losing at home to Hillingdon Borough. Must have been in the FA Trophy.
One life One love One Wigan Athletic

The real Melchester Rovers
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
  • 1
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds

The only place UK businesses need to come for their online marketing and advertising
Go to top