Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cook’s Replacement

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 5 days ago #177836

• Snowyblue
  • Spectator
Well, Cook’s time with our club is definitely over and it’s now time for Mr Cook to depart.
Who do you think the club should bring in to save us from the drop?
Joke have appointed Mike O’Neill so is there another ex Latics player capable of stepping into the breach?
Springfield Park, the last grass terrace in the Football League, the original field of dreams.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 5 days ago #177841

• bluelatic
  • Spectator
  • Thank you received: 1
If the club and the new owners have any real ambition then we need to be looking outside the box as they say.
A good sign of any intent could be Steve Gerrard? Yes it would cost but not as much as the cost of getting relegated again!
Would be a good fit for him with his managerial career and a decent step up / challenge from the Scottish Prem. Championship didn't do Lampard any harm.
Can get rid of the Royles too for me.
Absolute garbage today. These last 4/ 5 matches, where we have deserved more, have probably been our purple patch, so god help us when we go off the boil! Today could be the start. For a mid table team Brentford played some very good football and looked a top six team.

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 5 days ago #177843

• Vat69
  • 1st Team Player
  • Thank you received: 116
Theres no chance Gerrard would come to us.

Id consider Martin O'Neill, if he would come. Or Mark Hughes. Would I consider Roy Keane? Maybe. He wouldnt take any gump.
Pardew? I'm trying to think who us available. Hughton? Would he come?
And there you go!

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 5 days ago #177844

• Zeb2
  • 1st Year Apprentice
  • Thank you received: 54
Would he come ...? Hughton?.......absolutely not

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 5 days ago #177845

• Vat69
  • 1st Team Player
Zeb2 wrote:
Would he come ...? Hughton?.......absolutely not

Probably right.
And there you go!

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 5 days ago #177848

• runcornfan1978
  • Reserve Team Player
  • Thank you received: 218
Vat69 wrote:
Theres no chance Gerrard would come to us.

Id consider Martin O'Neill, if he would come. Or Mark Hughes. Would I consider Roy Keane? Maybe. He wouldnt take any gump.
Pardew? I'm trying to think who us available. Hughton? Would he come?

Not Keane!!

Mark Hughes is a decent shout, but is he a premier league manager only?

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 5 days ago #177858

• soprano
  • Spectator
  • Thank you received: 4
Last week was a blip. Cook reverts to type midweek, changing a winning side yet again. Talking about opening with but never does., just cameo appearances. Cook cannot get the best from any player. Ruined Power, Grigg and many others. He puts experience over youth, however good the young player is. Look at the young players who brought silverware to Wigan in the younger sides, where are they all? Sorry we need
A Director of football, a coach and the coaching team. A message earlier reports that Cook used his coach to get him a tea! That is great man management. Cook has to go. Put him on gardening leave. Consider a player/ Coach someone like Charlie Mulgrew. He could bring in fresh coaches who could energise our players.

B U T PAUL COOK must GO!

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 5 days ago #177863

• cup winners
  • Reserve Team Player
  • Thank you received: 118
Well said, those experienced players are either crocked or dropped.

For me we missed our boat with Gary Rowett. He has instantly turned Millwalls form round slowly pulling away from the bottom.
As written by a Millwall fan on Rowetts instant success which make Harris sound like Cooks doppleganger:

One area in which Millwall have definitely improved upon under the ex-Birmingham City man is their overall attacking intent, the Lions were largely predictable and as a result easy to defend against under Harris, with their long ball tactics seemingly outdated.

Rowett has already employed a more expansive style of play that makes use of the wingers more, by asking the wide players to not only act as creative outlets but to also play as inside forwards when the Lions are in possession, thus causing an overload of attacking options through the centre of the final third
Last Edit: 1 week 5 days ago by cup winners.

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 4 days ago #177866

• Edwards
  • Academy Player
  • Thank you received: 62
As a proud happy clapper I’m clinging on by my fingernails, today was indefensible, but, was one game against a very good team. 24 hours ago many were saying we’re on the up and have turned a corner.
Tin hat on and maybe a blue and white blindfolded, Stoke away will be pivotal. Assuming Cook is still in charge.

I’ll be backing the team as ever and I’m sure everyone on here will , but I promise I will not jinx us with any shite beforehand!

UP THE TICS

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 4 days ago #177867

• MR Brownbill
  • Reserve Team Player
  • Thank you received: 85
If he isn't out the door by Monday lunch time then we have a really worrying situation at the club. Who the hell can possibly justify him still being in charge by then ? What are the Royle family actually doing at the club ? Does he have a silly pay off clause in his contract that's stopping the owners from dumping him ? Is league 1 next season really acceptable to them ?...There isn't one positive thing about our club at the moment,on or off the field.I wanted him out last season but the owners backed him with a decent wedge and still it's gone sour.Need to get him out right now and give someone the break to instill some confidence/positivity and a tactical shake up cos Stoke followed by Millwall with 2 new managers will be another points blank and probably achieve our bottom 3 Christmas position.

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 4 days ago #177868

• cup winners
  • Reserve Team Player
Edwards wrote:
As a proud happy clapper I’m clinging on by my fingernails, today was indefensible, but, was one game against a very good team. 24 hours ago many were saying we’re on the up and have turned a corner.
Tin hat on and maybe a blue and white blindfolded, Stoke away will be pivotal. Assuming Cook is still in charge.

I’ll be backing the team as ever and I’m sure everyone on here will , but I promise I will not jinx us with any shite beforehand!

UP THE TICS
I have to agree with you there, I think lots are underestimating how good Brentford actually are.
But, on the same token, its week in week out with us. Were either so called unlucky or beaten by a better side. I can stomach that but only for so long. I personally think were simply stale and changes are needed. Cooks overstayed his welcome, Cooks not a bad manager it's not happening and I feel it's a level too high for him. He's even admitted it himself he's not sure why so if he doesn't know then what chance have we got.
Last Edit: 1 week 4 days ago by cup winners.

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 4 days ago #177870

• muttywhitedog
  • Reserve Team Player
  • Thank you received: 108
Last season, Wigan were in a relegation scrap with Nick Powell & Reece James in the side. Realistically did you expect to be in any different situation this season?

If the answer is "no", please amplify as I cant see how a team who lost its two best players would do better the following year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: donnys page

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 4 days ago #177872

• Nuneatonlatic
  • 1st Team Manager
  • Thank you received: 517
muttywhitedog wrote:
Last season, Wigan were in a relegation scrap with Nick Powell & Reece James in the side. Realistically did you expect to be in any different situation this season?

If the answer is "no", please amplify as I cant see how a team who lost its two best players would do better the following year.

The money spent mutt should have at least nullified the losses of Reece and Nick. No to me it's simply down to tactics and that leaves only one man to blame.
One life One love One Wigan Athletic

The real Melchester Rovers

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 4 days ago #177873

• bigroy
  • Youth Team Player
  • Thank you received: 87
League one is probably our level as a club. We can't compete in Championship financially which has been proved year in year out and our attendances are poor in comparison to the majority of clubs. Obviously Preston are a well drilled side with a better Manager but even they get around 25% higher attendances. Yesterday was poor. My understanding is Cook ain't going anywhere but sure Messrs Brownbill et al will continue their frustrations ranting and raving over the next few days before slowly piping down and accepting the situation until the next defeat.

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 4 days ago #177874

• vincehill
  • Reserve Team Player
  • Thank you received: 66
I am as annoyed and frustrated as anyone but looking back nearly 24 hours later is it not just that we were simply outclassed by a far better side?
Whatever level of intensity we played at the fact remains, Brentford ( club size irrelevant) were simply far too good for us.
He could have played any combination yesterday and we would still have had a hiding it’s as simple as that.
That said he still has to sort it out and it’s no use wasting millions of pounds paying him and his staff off , we have been here before and suffered abject failure as a result.
He has two weeks to look at the squad and deal with the faults in his team of which there are too many to get into here .
I still think it is wrong to get rid of him at this points and for me he stays here and sorts out the many problems with his team and his selection policy.
That is what he gets paid for and he has vast experience within the club( Reid and Royle) but the pressure is very much on for him with the next two away games and he needs a win at one of those at least.
Anything less than that and The fat lady may well start clearing her breath regardless .
Last Edit: 1 week 4 days ago by vincehill.

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 4 days ago #177876

• blueneon
  • Reserve Team Player
  • Thank you received: 57
It's in the owners hands now .how ambitious they are truly keeping cook it's not the right direction we want to be going.totally out off his depth in this league.the rot has to be sorted.he should have gone last December. COOK OUT.

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 4 days ago #177877

• cup winners
  • Reserve Team Player
muttywhitedog wrote:

Exactly, you've answered your own question regarding Cooks ability to manage at Championship level.
Last season he had a world class Chelsea player and Powell who could change a game in the blink of an eye and we still struggled like fcuk.

If we had 4 or 5 players similar I still think Cook would struggle to make it happen which for me points to Cook as been the problem and unable to manage at Championship level.

As I pointed out, Millwall were similar to us lobbing high balls up front. Rowetts gone in and within weeks started to utilise players better who are already there changing Millwalls attacking style i.e width. Theres an overnight noticable change (as quoted by their own fans) in the way they attack, better results and better on the eye.
This bullsh1t about our level is League One is pathetic. Weve proved were above that League. We should at least be holding our own in the Championship. So far weve given a fare few big players in this Championship a game but in games we should have drawn or won weve lost or drawn.

We should have progressed from last year but I think we've actually gone backwards.

We need a new approach, tweak what's there, a manager with modern idea's and stop the fcuk long high balls to a solo Moore.
Last Edit: 1 week 4 days ago by cup winners.

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 4 days ago #177878

• Vat69
  • 1st Team Player
bigroy wrote:
League one is probably our level as a club. We can't compete in Championship financially which has been proved year in year out and our attendances are poor in comparison to the majority of clubs. Obviously Preston are a well drilled side with a better Manager but even they get around 25% higher attendances. Yesterday was poor. My understanding is Cook ain't going anywhere but sure Messrs Brownbill et al will continue their frustrations ranting and raving over the next few days before slowly piping down and accepting the situation until the next defeat.

So we just accept this garbage thats being served up?
He should be out the door tomorrow, but I can't see that happening, as apparently Darren Royle has said he won't be sacked under any circumstances.
The crowds are constantly on the dwindle, and you can't blame anybody. Its getting cold now as well and in all honesty, unleas we pick up good results in these aways at Stoke and Millwall, if Cook is still in charge for the Reading game, I will be voting with my feet and giving it a miss. I think a few more people will as well.
Our home form was keeping him in a job, but thats gone now. There is no excuse or reason NOT to sack him, apart from our chairman and board showing him blind faith. That yesterday, was the final straw.
And there you go!

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 4 days ago #177879

• muttywhitedog
  • Reserve Team Player
  • Thank you received: 108
Nuneatonlatic wrote:
muttywhitedog wrote:

The money spent mutt should have at least nullified the losses of Reece and Nick. No to me it's simply down to tactics and that leaves only one man to blame.

I'm not exactly sure who has been bought to replace them Nuneaton, but I'm pretty certain you haven't replaced Powell and James with a similar standard player, who would cost well in excess of £10m. Keiffer Moore is not proven at this level, and could arguably be seen as a like-for-like replacement for Grigg (who is most certainly not on fire!).

In terms of replacement should Cook get potted, a more realistic appointment would be someone like Nigel Adkins. O'Neill & Hughes wont come unless they can spend spend spend, Gerrard wont entertain a relegation on his CV before he returns to Anfield, Hughton will get a job in the premier league and Keane's style is not suited to today's modern footballer, where decapitation at half time isn't an option for an underperforming player!
Last Edit: 1 week 4 days ago by muttywhitedog.

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 4 days ago #177880

• Nuneatonlatic
  • 1st Team Manager
  • Thank you received: 517
muttywhitedog wrote:
Nuneatonlatic wrote:
muttywhitedog wrote:

I'm not exactly sure who has been bought to replace them Nuneaton, but I'm pretty certain you haven't replaced Powell and James with a similar standard player, who would cost well in excess of £10m. Keiffer Moore is not proven at this level, and could arguably be seen as a like-for-like replacement for Grigg (who is most certainly not on fire!).

In terms of replacement should Cook get potted, a more realistic appointment would be someone like Nigel Adkins. O'Neill & Hughes wont come unless they can spend spend spend, Gerrard wont entertain a relegation on his CV before he returns to Anfield, Hughton will get a job in the premier league and Keane's style is not suited to today's modern footballer, where decapitation at half time isn't an option for an underperforming player!

To be fair mutt, Stoke have been shite since they signed Powell and it's taken a sacking by them to redress the problem. And tell me another manager who would have survived had they Cooks record away from home?.
One life One love One Wigan Athletic

The real Melchester Rovers

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 4 days ago #177881

• runcornfan1978
  • Reserve Team Player
  • Thank you received: 218
Truth is I do like Cook & seriously want him to do well. I feel at the moment however, that his persistence with his hoofball tactics which clearly aren't working, plus the atrocious away record will eventually lead to his downfall I'm afraid. We have two vital away's coming up. Lose those & that really should be that.

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 4 days ago #177882

• Zeb2
  • 1st Year Apprentice
  • Thank you received: 54
Big Roy....clearly there are bigger clubs than us in this league (and below it) but the idea that we are ‘League 1’ is just defeatist.

Are Brentford any bigger than us as a club?....absolutely not ....and PNE were only getting 12k on the other week as a top 3 club with all their ‘history’ it isn’t a game changing difference in attendance terms....and both PNE and Brentford are showing what can be achieved through astute, low cost recruitment comb8ned with good coaching & management.

As good as Brentford looked yesterday .....if they really were THAT good why aren’t they in the top 3 ?

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 4 days ago #177883

• MR Brownbill
  • Reserve Team Player
  • Thank you received: 85
That really does take the biscuit Big Roy. ....league 1 ???? Love it after all the blind support you showered on Cook when the facts finally slap you in the kisser we are suddenly worthy of only league 1. How many league 1 clubs do you reckon can bank roll them to the tune of 10 million in 1 window ???? Still he cant win away....now struggling to win at home,cant score,cant defend and absolutely turgid and gutless to watch !!!!! but hey,its not Cooks fault cos we really don't deserve to be here......made my day you have......by the way wheres the suddenly silent one.....Super Stu ?????..mmmmmmm !! Did we lose again ?

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 4 days ago #177884

• Sammy
  • Reserve Team Player
  • Thank you received: 159
Poor performances happen and as disappointing as that was yesterday it bothers me less than those recent games when we’ve played well but don’t see out games and drop points. It’s those games which show up our deficiencies more than anything that went on yesterday. We can’t defend because our defence is not good enough and we can’t score for the same reason.
And I hope Moore has apologised to Gelhardt for that reckless challenge which had it been committed by a Brentford player Latics fans would have been demanding a sending off.

Cook’s Replacement 1 week 4 days ago #177885

• bigroy
  • Youth Team Player
  • Thank you received: 87
Good for you Dez!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Football Betting Site Betway

The only place UK businesses need to come for their online marketing and advertising
Go to top