• Academy Player
  • Thank you received: 11
Expections

1. Chris Hughton
2. David Moyes

Reality

1. Neil Warnock for 6 Months
2. Owen Coyle

I suspect the Royle's are realists which is why Paul Cook still has his Job.
"If I want to ridicule how pathetic our support is then I will"

Filmoss
8th December 2010

RIP Wigan Athletic. We had some good times.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New Manager Options 4 days 1 hour ago #178535

• Saga Lout
  • Spectator
  • Thank you received: 1
Why the hell would Warnock come to Wigan?

New Manager Options 4 days 22 minutes ago #178536

• The Egg
  • Thank you received: 452
Because we won the fa cup and spent 8 years in the premier league of course
WAFC - LEAGUE ONE CHAMPIONS 2018 - UP THE TICS!

New Manager Options 3 days 22 hours ago #178539

• Goole Away 71
  • 1st Year Apprentice
  • Thank you received: 20
The Royle's need to get to Burnley and offer Bobby Lad the job!

New Manager Options 3 days 21 hours ago #178540

• LostockHallLatic
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Reserve Team Player
  • Thank you received: 159
r_p_mcmurphy wrote:
Expections

1. Chris Hughton
2. David Moyes

Reality

2. Owen Coyle

Coyle has signed for an Indian League club today !

Phew !
Today is the first day of the rest of the season !

New Manager Options 3 days 20 hours ago #178541

• donnys page
  • 1st Team Manager
  • Thank you received: 785
LostockHallLatic wrote:
r_p_mcmurphy wrote:
Expections

1. Chris Hughton
2. David Moyes

Reality

2. Owen Coyle

Phew !
You laugh but he is a better alternative to what we have and his football was better than the shite we play now.

New Manager Options 3 days 20 hours ago #178542

• The Egg
Goole Away 71 wrote:

The same Bob we all wanted sacked?

New Manager Options 3 days 20 hours ago #178543

• The Egg
donnys page wrote:
LostockHallLatic wrote:
r_p_mcmurphy wrote:
Expections

1. Chris Hughton
2. David Moyes

Reality

2. Owen Coyle

Phew !
You laugh but he is a better alternative to what we have and his football was better than the shite we play now.

He also had a better squad and a pot load more money

New Manager Options 3 days 20 hours ago #178544

• Goole Away 71
  • 1st Year Apprentice
The Egg wrote:
Goole Away 71 wrote:

All?

New Manager Options 3 days 20 hours ago #178545

• The Egg
Goole Away 71 wrote:
The Egg wrote:
Goole Away 71 wrote:

All?

Well, most on here definitely did

New Manager Options 3 days 19 hours ago #178546

• Goole Away 71
  • 1st Year Apprentice
The Egg wrote:
Goole Away 71 wrote:
The Egg wrote:
Goole Away 71 wrote:

All?

Well, most on here definitely did

I seem to recall it was roughly a 50/50 split and the start of light and dark sides.

New Manager Options 3 days 19 hours ago #178547

• The Egg
Ok then....the guy half of us wanted sacked.

It's still the same point, people didn't like Martinez and said he was clueless, wasted transfer money, said the same things in defeat and was out of his depth in the same way they now say them about Cook, and yet they want Martinez back.

New Manager Options 3 days 18 hours ago #178548

• muttywhitedog
  • Reserve Team Player
  • Thank you received: 108
I thought Warnock was a bit ambitious, but is this the same Martinez that is manager of the No 1 ranked country in world football?

Give your heads a wobble gents!

New Manager Options 3 days 18 hours ago #178549

• Vat69
  • NOW ONLINE
  • 1st Team Player
  • Thank you received: 120
In all serious now, if any of you are even remotely suggesting that we should keep Cook, then oh my god, its you who needs to give your head a massive wobble.

Deary me. Is that what its come to? Accepting shite because the alternatives arent brilliant?

No wonder it was Wiganers who broke that strike and returned to Work, 'eating humble pie'. Talk about going along with it all. Rubbish.

If this is what our club has become, accepting Cook and burying your heads in the sand, then I want no part of it.
And there you go!

New Manager Options 3 days 17 hours ago #178550

• The Egg
For me personally it isn't about accepting Cook (as much as I like him as a person) but accepting realistically who we are as a club and that to get to the next step will take time. Financial Fair Play won't allow us to throw money around like we did in the Whelan days and to be honest, we don't actually have that much in the grand scheme of things anymore unless the owners want to spend their own money. Again, possibly another reason why we are being taken off of the stock exchange but I wouldn't bet on it.

The talk of us spending £10m and being no better is an example of where we are. £10m these days at this level is nothing. Clubs are spending that on one player, we had that as our whole budget. Not to mention we couldn't afford to keep Powell and haven't been able to replace him, whilst Reece James was a phenomenon who again we haven't gotten remotely close to replacing and probably never ever will. The improvements to our academy are a clear indication that the owners are looking at the long term future of the club and perhaps are even prepared to take a step back to then take two or three forwards. Who knows?

We all want to do better, to win away from home, to be comfortable at this level and I hoped we would make a better fight of things this year and we still might yet do but sacking Cook is no guarantee we will survive and comes with a financial risk just as much as keeping hold of Cook does. We need to make sure we have the right man before we do anything in my opinion otherwise it could set us back even further ala Malky Mackay and Warren Joyce and we can no longer afford to take that risk.

New Manager Options 3 days 17 hours ago #178551

• Vat69
  • NOW ONLINE
  • 1st Team Player
  • Thank you received: 120
People say that Whelan threw money about to get us up the leagues?

Did he?

What about all the sales we made? Every year we sold our best players, and eventually it caught up with us and we were relegated.

Ellington, Valencia, Baines, Palacios, Heskey, Rodallega, Mcarthur, McCarthy, etc etc. We brought far more money in than we ever forked out.
And there you go!
Last Edit: 3 days 17 hours ago by Vat69.

New Manager Options 3 days 17 hours ago #178552

• The Egg
That was once we made the Prem. We made some pretty big signings to get us there albeit not as big as other clubs because as I've said before we spent it wisely but we still spent it.

New Manager Options 3 days 17 hours ago #178553

• The Egg
Filan, Eaden, Breckin, Jackson, Bullard, Teale, Kavanagh, Roberts, Ellington, Jarrett, McCulloch all came at a cost some large some not so large, plus the wages we reportedly paid were quite high for that time.

New Manager Options 3 days 11 hours ago #178554

• vincehill
  • Reserve Team Player
  • Thank you received: 66
My opinion is that everything points to relegation from this division, the team just isn’t good enough at this level. Thinking about Mackay and Joyce appointments what is the point of wasting loads of money for what is looking like a lost cause ?
Why are league 1 standard players (in the main )suddenly going to become world beaters if we change the manager?
It didn’t happen in the previous seasons and I doubt it would change anything now without very serious financial investment in January.
I would sooner build the club up using a sound youth policy and if that means a return to league 1 then so be it.
If there is no money there it would be pointless to waste millions of pounds paying the staff off for what is in my view now an inevitability.
Sorry to be defeatist but we are where we are and the faults and blame lie on the pitch as the players we have are just not good enough at this level.
Sorry to be defeatist but have seen enough to realise how poor this team is at this level and is easily one of the worst of the past 25 years or so.
They have hardly any traits of what i believe a standard Wigan Athletic team should be.
We have had some very very good times in my opinion over that period but it is now looking like we could be heading for a correction whether we like it or not.
Last Edit: 3 days 10 hours ago by vincehill.

New Manager Options 3 days 10 hours ago #178555

• muttywhitedog
  • Reserve Team Player
  • Thank you received: 108
vincehill wrote:
I would sooner build the club up using a sound youth policy and if that means a return to league 1 then so be it.

Easier said than done Vince. If you return to L1, its pretty much a given that any half-decent talent that is in your academy will be poached by either a prem or championship club. Its also pretty much a given that given the geographical location of Wigan, the lure to anyone half-decent will reduce, no matter how good your facilities are. The prem and top-end champ clubs can (and do) hoover up all the kids in the hope of one or two making it. The rest will either be tossed on the scrapheap or tossed back in your direction when they have been broken with the words "You aint good enough".

Sunderland are suffering this right now. As soon as relegation to L1 was confirmed in 2018, most of the kids that had been at the academy for 6+ years, signed as potential future premiership players, were hoovered up by Liverpool & Arsenal. We were left with the scraps. And that is in an area where the only competition for youth talent is Newcastle.

New Manager Options 3 days 7 hours ago #178556

• bigroy
  • Youth Team Player
  • Thank you received: 87
Back to the pipe dream of us producing loads of academy superstars when we have never done it in a decade. You can see this season the difficulties in bedding in Gelhardt that it's not as easy as it sounds and this is supposedly one of the best 17 year olds in the country. We may have a decent cohort in the 18s at the minute but I'm not sure we have the strength in depth behind that group. The 16s lost 8-0 to Rangers at the weekend and I watched the 14s lose 6-0 at City recently. There is much work to do if we are to continually produce boys ready for the first team and this will take time.

New Manager Options 3 days 7 hours ago #178557

• jrfatfan
  • 1st Team Manager
  • Thank you received: 349
I disagree totally that this squad is not good enough to hold their own in this league. The only thing Cook has got right in his post match grovellings is two words "fine margins".
We have lost or drawn the majority of games, especially away from home, by the odd goal. Games in which for the most part we've looked the better team. Its been a mixture of poor tactics, poor substitutions and individual mistakes. 66% of the reasons we've grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory have been down to Cook and his management team.
I've been behind Cook all of the way up to recently, but have always been critical of the management team as a whole saying they have only played or worked previously for the likes of Accrington Stanley.
Get a management team in with a bit more experience, a bit more tactical prowess and this squad can be at a level of one challenging for a top 6 place.
I know cost will come into it, but its about speculating to accumulate at this stage. The money that playing in the championship brings opposed to that what League one has to offer are worlds apart.
We were fortunate last time that we bounced back at first attempt, next time we might not bounce back and that in my opinion could be a few nails in our coffin.
Let's put sentiment to one side, look to see if there are any experienced managers out there that might fancy a new challenge for the right reasons, being that they are already multi millionaires and see where it takes us. It has to be now, to allow for them to weigh up the squad before the January window closes.
I won't accept that going back to league one is acceptable or proactive in any way shape or form for this club.
FromMatlocktoManU......How far have we fekin come!
Last Edit: 3 days 7 hours ago by jrfatfan.

New Manager Options 3 days 6 hours ago #178558

• Sammy
  • Reserve Team Player
  • Thank you received: 159
It is quite surprising that Cook is still here, not necessarily because of results or even his inability to correct repetitive team failings, but more to do with his post-match comments where he has on more than one occasion admitted he doesn’t how to change things. That, in most any other club, would get him instantly out of the door. Even allowing for a situation where Cook knows he isn’t about to be potted it’s not something a manager would readily admit to. Honesty is not always the best policy when you are a football manager. The fact he’s still in charge says more about the structure of the club than anything else, or perhaps they haven’t found a suitable – however you wish to define that – replacement yet.

New Manager Options 3 days 5 hours ago #178559

• cup winners
  • Reserve Team Player
  • Thank you received: 119
donnys page wrote:
LostockHallLatic wrote:
r_p_mcmurphy wrote:
Expections

1. Chris Hughton
2. David Moyes

Reality

2. Owen Coyle

Phew !
Really ??, wow how some see things differently

New Manager Options 3 days 5 hours ago #178560

• cup winners
  • Reserve Team Player
  • Thank you received: 119
Sammy wrote:
It is quite surprising that Cook is still here, not necessarily because of results or even his inability to correct repetitive team failings, but more to do with his post-match comments where he has on more than one occasion admitted he doesn’t how to change things. That, in most any other club, would get him instantly out of the door. Even allowing for a situation where Cook knows he isn’t about to be potted it’s not something a manager would readily admit to. Honesty is not always the best policy when you are a football manager. The fact he’s still in charge says more about the structure of the club than anything else, or perhaps they haven’t found a suitable – however you wish to define that – replacement yet.
Well as you have pointed out, getting rid is easy, finding someone who can sort this mess out and improve us to safety is another.
I'd like to think Warnock or Hughton but that won't happen.
De Zeeuw's done his badges
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds

Football Betting Site Betway

The only place UK businesses need to come for their online marketing and advertising
Go to top