HomeMatch Reports2005-2006 - Leeds United 3 Wigan Athletic 3

FA Cup Third Round Replay - Tuesday 17th January 2006

Leeds United
David Healy 41
David Healy (pen) 64
Gary Kelly 116
Wigan Athletic
Andreas Johansson 24
Jason Roberts 50
Jason Roberts 103
Wigan Athletic
Kick-off: 19:45
Venue: Elland Road
Referee: Graham Poll (Tring)
Attendance: 15,243
AET Wigan win 4-2 on penalties FT 2-2

Report by: John Patrick Heeley

Wigan reached the fourth round of the FA Cup for the first time since 1987 but needed penalties to overcome Championship side Leeds United with the two sides unable to be separated after 120 minutes. Paul Jewell's side now face Manchester City at the City of Manchester Stadium.

Wigan are celebrating a place in the fourth round of the FA Cup for the first time in 19 years after finally winning a battle of wills with Leeds 4-2 in a penalty shoot-out.

Not since 1987 have the Latics reached the last 32, yet they face Manchester City in 11 days' time on the back of a hard-fought victory over United following a 3-3 draw after extra-time at Elland Road.

It was left to Graham Kavanagh to fire home the winning spot-kick, despite the midfielder having failed to score in 36 appearances for Wigan since a £1million move from Cardiff last March.

Prior to that the preceding 120 minutes had been largely nailbiting stuff, with Wigan three times taking the lead, only for Leeds to hit back on each occasion.

Yet the drama of the spot-kicks proved their undoing, with David Healy and Rob Hulse blazing over, while Wigan were perfect, with Jimmy Bullard, Gary Teale, two-goal hero Jason Roberts and Kavanagh all on target.

Notably Jewell was without Stephane Henchoz through suspension, the ineligible Paul Scharner, Henri Camara on African Nations' Cup duty and with a number of others injured.

Throw into the mix an FA Youth Cup tie dragging other up-and-comers away, and it was also a case of 'mend and make do' for Jewell.

Yet his side managed to take a 23rd-minute lead, with a rare strike from Sweden international Andreas Johansson.

The £450,000 capture from Djurgaardens a year ago has struggled for playing time since that move, with this only his 13th appearance and seventh start.

But Johansson managed to nab his third goal for the club, seizing on a knock down from Roberts, and although his first effort struck the post while under pressure from Matthew Kilgallon, he forced home the rebound from close range.

Wigan, on the balance of play, had deserved the lead, even if they were fortunate not to be trailing after just four minutes.

The industry of on-loan Manchester United midfielder Liam Miller saw him ride a tackle deep inside his own half from Republic of Ireland team-mate Kavanagh.

Miller then embarked on a 70-yard run before laying the ball off to Healy, and despite rounding the advancing John Filan, the angle proved too tight as his weak shot finished in the side-netting.

After a couple of chances for Damien Francis, Wigan served notice of their intent in the 15th minute when Teale rattled the bar from 18 yards.

Yet Johansson's breakthrough soon after galvanised Leeds, rather than forming the platform for the Latics to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Hulse, hero 10 days ago at the JJB Stadium with a late leveller, showed deftness of mind and touch to turn Arjan de Zeeuw on the edge of the area after receiving a through ball from Simon Walton, only to shave the bar with a rising drive.

Five minutes from the break, Leeds gained their reward for the more industrious football at that stage, with poacher Healy on the line to force the ball home after Filan had superbly blocked a downward Hulse header.

Unbowed, Wigan started the second half in the ascendancy and were back in front in the 49th minute, with Roberts ending a five-game goal drought with his 10th of the season.

Dragging down Teale's right-wing cross, Roberts then turned, shrugging aside the attentions of Gary Kelly, before despatching a crisp 20-yard drive into the bottom right-hand corner.

But again that only steeled Leeds' resolve, and after Eddie Lewis had rattled the crossbar from an acute angle, Leeds proceeded to hit back for the second time on the night, and third overall in the tie.

There was no doubt about the 63rd-minute handball decision awarded by referee Graham Poll against Matt Jackson, with the centre-back's right hand catching Kelly's outswinging corner.

That allowed Healy to beat Filan from the spot, with the pace on the ball the undoing of the Australian who had dived the right way.

There was almost a spectacular winner from Miller in regulation, but for the third time in the game the woodwork intervened, with the angle of bar and post beating away a searing 25-yard half-volley.

Still the drama continued in extra time, with Roberts heading Wigan back in front in the 103rd minute, yet Leeds refused to lie down.

In the 115th minute a half-cleared corner to Kelly was thundered home from 25 yards, with the right-back scoring his first goal for three years, and only his fourth in 14½ seasons with the club.

But despite such valour, Leeds were found wanting at the death, and instead it was Wigan who marched on.

  • Leeds United
  • Neil Sullivan
  • Gary Kelly
  • Paul Butler
  • Matthew Kilgallon
  • Stephen Crainey
  • Simon Walton 103
  • Liam Miller 87
  • Jonathan Douglas
  • Eddie Lewis 88
  • Rob Hulse
  • David Healy
  • Ian Bennett
  • Danny Pugh
  • Glyfi Einarsson 87
  • Richard Cresswell 88
  • Robbie Blake 103
Comment on this
Your local bargain finder The only place UK businesses need to come for their online marketing and advertising

FA Cup History

FA Cup HistoryWigan Athletic FA Cup Winners 2013 - but how did they fare previously in the World's most famous domestic cup competition?


Latics Archive

Latics ArchiveA growing archive of Wigan Athletic's games over the years including goalscorers and attendances where known.


Prediction League

Cockney Latic Prediction LeagueDo you think that you know your football? Pit your wits against fellow fans in the Cockney Latic Prediction League.