Wigan Athletic beat Hull City in the third round of the FA Cup for the second time in twelve months, there were 5 goals again and the same winner, but this time it was done with a very much a reserve side

FA Cup Third Round – KC STADIUM – Saturday January 8th 2011
Nicky Barmby (74,90)
Mohammed Diame (21,77)
Callum McManaman (56)

I would like to say we cruised through this and for the most part we did, but Hull did make a fight of it near the end. But the possession counted and more importantly the goal threat of Latics that saw us through.

It has not been very often I have been able to say we were a goal threat, but today we showed that we really can get the shots in when needed. The scoreline could have been very different had Matt Duke not been on top form.

Daniel de Ridder was wearing the shirt for the first time in nearly a year and out in a very impressive display, he should have got his goal when he excellently skipped past the tigers defence only for his shot to evade the keeper and then bounce back off the post.

McManaman was unlucky not to score off the rebound from that effort but he did score an individual effort for himself, sandwiching two goals from an outstanding display from Mohammed Diame.

The game started off very lively for Latics and we could have gone ahead after just two minutes, but Matt Dikes was in good form today and denied Callum McManaman his early chance of glory. Daniel de Ridder looked to score as well but was denied by the Tiger’s stopper.

It took until the 20th minute for us to break through and what an effort it was to put us in front. Callum McManaman cruised past the Hull defence to get hi low cross in to give Diame the easiest of tap ins.

De Ridder could have put us two up just 5 minutes later but his header was just wide of the mark, Diame, McManaman and Gomez all went close to doubling the lead but we went in just a goal up.

The second half was a much more even affair but goals were plentiful. Luckily it was Latics classy touches that produced the second goal and it deservedly went to Callum McManaman who’s solo run and low shot into the bottom corner gave us a two goal lead.

After ringing the changes Hull did manage to pull one back through Nick Barmby only for Diame to once again fire in another low shot to restore the two goal lead. We then put on a couple of youngsters ourselves to relieve some tired legs.

Hull struck through Nick Barmby again in the 90th minute, but it was too little too late for the home side.

So Latics made it an FA Cup double over Hull in the FA Cup and we will see our name go into the hat for the Fourth round draw on Sunday.


Cockney Latic Man of the Match: Callum McManaman
Referee: Mark Clattenburg
Attendance: 10,483
1 Matt Duke 26 Ali Al Habsi
2 Kamil Zayatte 24 Aidrian Lopez
3 Andy Dawson 17 Emmerson Boyce
4 Ian Ashbee 13 Stephen Caldwell
8 James Harper 31 Maynor Figueroa
12 Matty Fryatt 21 Mohamed Diame
23 Jay Simpson 16 James McArthur

Nolberto Solano

14 Jordi Gomez
25 Anthony Gerrard 28 Daniel de Rideer
27 Jimmy Bullard 6 Hendry Thomas
32 Cameron Stewart 38 Callum McManaman
13 Mark Oxley 46 Lee Nichols
18 Nick Barmby 22 Daniel Robinson
20 Jamie Devitt 35 Roman Golobart
22 Robert Koren 39 Jordan Mustoe
31 Gavan Holoran 41 James Redmond
36 Sonny Bradley 43 Adam Buxton
17 Liam Cooper 51 Callum Morris
21′     Goal Mohammed Diame
56′     Goal Callum McMananma
61′ Player Off Jay Simpson
Player On Nick Barmby
61′ Player Off Jimmy Bullard
Player On Robert Koren
63′     Player Off Aidrian Lopez
Player On Robinson
71′ Player Off Cameron Stewart
Player On Jamie Devitt
74′ Goal Nick Barmby    
77′     Goal Mohammed Diame
79′     Player Off James McArthur
Player On James Redmond
87′     Player Off Maynor Figueroa
Player On Jordan Mustoe
90′ Goal Nick Barmby    

The upkeep of the site is funded solely from the advertising on site, from our own pockets and donations from users, if you would like donate it would be greatly appreciated, click here for donation page.