Watson 84



It took until the last ten minutes for Latics to break through the time wasting and delaying tactics adopted by Hull, but we got the deserved winner with a Ben Watson strike, his second in as many matches.

In the blustery conditions Maynor Figueroa nearly fluked the first goal in the first minute as his cross swerved over Duke’s head and rebounded back off the crossbar. N’Zogbia nearly put Watson in just minutes later, but his cross was hit too well and drifted behind the young midfielder.

The game became a bit tatty after the opening exchanges with Hull dragging everything out and for a time we just couldn’t get hold of the game, even though we were enjoying the majority of the possession.

Rodallega had a free kick well saved after Scharner was fouled on the edge of the area whilst Mido sent a guilt edged chance high over the bar from just 8 yards after Hugo had served the ball on a plate to him.

Hull did venture into our half on occasions but didn’t manage a shot on target in the whole of the first half. Charles N’Zogbia came of worst from a 50/50 challenge which saw us finish the half with ten men, he wasn’t to come back out for the second half.

Latics won a free kick after a great opening ten minutes to the second half in which substitute Daniel de Ridder saw a lot of the ball. The resulting effort on goal though was very tame and Hull cleared their lines. The wind was starting to play a big factor as both teams efforts were now being restricted to the midfield.

We did get more chances as the half went on, but it was Hull who very nearly took the lead but for a great save from Kirkland. The Tiger’s first shot on target was a bullet header by Manucho, Kirkland had to react quickly to put the ball over for a corner.

This did spur Latics on as Rodallega and Mido tried to carve out chances, but the Hull defence was standing firm until the last 15 minutes when after some lovely passing got Rodallega a great chance to score. The Latic’s striker was unlucky to see his shot come off the post though and Hull cleared.

We did get our goal though as a week punch from Hull keeper Duke fell to Watson who guided the ball over the top of him and the defence to seal a massive three points for Latics. It was no more than we deserved and it really sets up the rest of the season, where the fans will start talking of Europe again.

The result dragged us back up to seventh place and we now have two weeks off to prepare for the Everton game.

Report by Jason Taylor

Referee: André Marriner (West Midlands)
Attendance: 17,689
1 Chris Kirkland 12 Matt Duke
25 Mario Melchiot 3 Andy Dawson
19 Titus Bramble 21 Sam Ricketts
17 Emmerson Boyce 15 Bernard Mendy
31 Maynor Figueroa 6 Michael Turner
11 Michael Brown 24 Kamil Zayatte
7 Paul Scharner 17 Kevin Kilbane
8 Ben Watson 22 Dean Marney
14 Charles N’Zogbia 10 Geovanni
9 Mido 7 Craig Fagan
20 Hugo Rodallega 28 Manucho
13 Mike Pollit 1 Boaz Myhill
22 Richard Kingson 8 Nicky Barmby
3 Erik Edman 13 Ryan France
23 Olivier Kapo 16 Peter Halmosi
5 Won-Hee Cho 2 Nathan Doyle
18 Daniel de Ridder 14 Richard Garcia
13 Amr Zaki 18 Caleb Folan
22′ Yellow Card Sam Ricketts
38′ Player Off Andrew Dawson
Player On Richard Garcia
40′ Yellow Card Bernard Mendy
46′ Player Off Charles N’Zogbia
Player On Daniel de Ridder
59′ Yellow Card Titus Bramble
60′ Yellow Card Craig Fagain
61′ Player Off Kamil Zayatte
Player On Caleb Folan
72′ Player Off Mido
Player On Amr Zaki
77′ Player Off Paul Scharner
Player On Olivier Kapo
82′ Player Off Craig Fagan
Player On Peter Halmosi
84′ Yellow Card Ben Watson