1977 FA Cup Semi Final

Forums Latics Crazy Forum 1977 FA Cup Semi Final

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    donnys pageDonnys Page
    Player

Just watched the highlights on BBC. Bloody hell that was good stuff. Played on a bog (worse than New Springy)at Maine Road. Crowd standing up creating a fantastic atmosphere. There is a bonus next season, standing on some grounds. The football was brilliant lots of passing, long and short but notably forward with defenders getting stuck in and getting shut of the ball forward to wingers flying down the wing. Tommy Smith for Liverpool and Mick Lyons for Everton, real tough characters. Brilliant play by the once Latics fan Duncan McKenzie. Both sides going at each other with pace.
      I bet there are many Everton fans watching that today and wishing they played that style of football today. I would certainly welcome that at Latics.

donnys pageDonnys Page
      Player

The semi final on domestic grounds too with replays. Bring that back too.

vincehillvinceHill
        Player

The FA cup back then was as big a trophy as you could win simply due to the profile generated by being the only game between league clubs televised live in the football calendar.
          the build up and the hype went on all week and the TV channels used to open up at 9am to start the coverage,incredible when you think about that now.To win the trophy back then was seen as a major success for the winning club and saved the careers of many an under pressure manager.
          now you are lucky to get a column in the paper a day before the game and the whole thing has been ruined by TV ironically with the ridiculous kick off time and the sanitised ‘new’ wembley that bears absolutely no resemblance to the old model.Maybe that is where the trophy lost some of its sparkle,the old ground was a relic but it’s majestic colliseum style and the camera angles made it feel very special abd for me something was lost forever when it was bulldozed.
          When we beat Man city some of the old magic came back just for a bit but when I witnessed scrawpy Arsenal ( from greatest league in world-my Arse!!!!) struggle past Reading last night I realise that it is sadly now a marginal tournament buried under the false hype of the premier league and the mad dash to get there via the championship play offs.

The FA cup back then was as big a trophy as you could win simply due to the profile generated by being the only game between league clubs televised live in the football calendar.
          the build up and the hype went on all week and the TV channels used to open up at 9am to start the coverage,incredible when you think about that now.To win the trophy back then was seen as a major success for the winning club and saved the careers of many an under pressure manager.
          now you are lucky to get a column in the paper a day before the game and the whole thing has been ruined by TV ironically with the ridiculous kick off time and the sanitised ‘new’ wembley that bears absolutely no resemblance to the old model.Maybe that is where the trophy lost some of its sparkle,the old ground was a relic but it’s majestic colliseum style and the camera angles made it feel very special abd for me something was lost forever when it was bulldozed.
          When we beat Man city some of the old magic came back just for a bit but when I witnessed scrawpy Arsenal ( from greatest league in world-my Arse!!!!) struggle past Reading last night I realise that it is sadly now a marginal tournament buried under the false hype of the premier league and the mad dash to get there via the championship play offs.

Trouble is today the big five have outgrown the FA Cup and the only important thing to them is the Champions League. T V saturation of football has also diluted the popularity of the Cup.

Trouble is today the big five have outgrown the FA Cup and the only important thing to them is the Champions League. T V saturation of football has also diluted the popularity of the Cup.[/quote]

If the big five are Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United then since the Premier League was formed, one of them has won it or been finalists apart from 2008 when Portsmouth beat Cardiff. So I assume it is still of some importance to them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Latics Crazy Forum 1977 FA Cup Semi Final