4-4-2 explained by DS

Forums Latics Crazy Forum 4-4-2 explained by DS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    jrfatfanjrfatfan
    Player

4-4-2 as interpreted by our leader, MR David Sharpe in today’s WEP, and the reason why it wont be adopted at Wigan, certainly not in the starting 11 formation.

Among the departures were winger Ryan Colclough and centre-back Jack Hendry, who have joined MK Dons on season-long loans. And Sharpe believes both will return to Wigan as better players.
      “Another good thing is we managed to get some good young players out on loan so they can get games,” the Latics chairman added. “Players like Ryan and Jack, they need games, and they will get that at a good club in League One. “We had offers from elsewhere, but MK Dons are a great club and the only club we really spoke to. They play a similar style to us, which was very important for us. “What’s the point of sending out a player to play in a team that plays 4-4-2, direct football?” “Ryan would just have been stood watching the ball fly over his head.” :lol:

From Matlock to ManU
      What a journey!

donnys pageDonnys Page
      Player

I think young David is getting a little mixed up if he thinks the dreaded 4-4-2 is just about humph football. Actually what is he talking about at all.
        Latics played some of their best ever and most entertaining football before the switch to Bobby’s Bore Ball. I can’t remember a line up with Ellington Roberts McCulloch Liddell Bullard and others partaking in big boot football.
        It wasn’t bad with the one up top last season at times either especially when we upped the tempo.

jrfatfanjrfatfan
        Player
          I think young David is getting a little mixed up if he thinks the dreaded 4-4-2 is just about humph football. Actually what is he talking about at all.
          Latics played some of their best ever and most entertaining football before the switch to Bobby’s Bore Ball. I can’t remember a line up with Ellington Roberts McCulloch Liddell Bullard and others partaking in big boot football.
          It wasn’t bad with the one up top last season at times either especially when we upped the tempo.

So for all those seasons watching that team play, you never saw that long hoof by our goalie to a Lee McCulloch who was hugging the touchline knowing if he won the header there was nobody forward of him to head it to. Did you never get frustrated with the many times during the game, the punt went too long and straight into touch. Don’t get fooled by by your memories thinking it was better in those days cos it wasn’t. I agree with you to a certain extent about Bobby’s slow tippy tappy football, but GC knows how to mix it up and changes things when they need changing. I have watched the odd ammy game and thought, they are not a patch on Aspull when I played for um.I take it you are the wrong side of 50? :P

From Matlock to ManU
          What a journey!

I watched Sweden v Holland the other night and the Dutch switch from 4-4-1-1 when they are defending and 4-4-2 when on the attack. They should have won and played some really nice stuff and as for young David he has to say anything that defends the clubs decisions its his job. 4-4-2 for me every time. Just a point, is it a coincidence that since wing backs came to the fore that the quality of balls into the box has gone downhill.

donnys pageDonnys Page
          Player

Leighton Baines was a fullback who came forward. He wasn’t a wing back. Rather have a good fullback who can make the occasional run and overlap with a winger.

jimmycjimmyc
            Player

Since when has 442 been about long ball??!! Long ball is more a managerial tac tic..

If the game is played with a good tempo and players get forward into the box at every available opportunity then formation shouldn’t matter too much.

And there’s something to be said for the keeper sending the ball long at times. Especially when you give soft goals away for needless passing around the back.

donnys pageDonnys Page
              Player

Defenders are there to stop the opposition scoring goals. Midfielders are there to pass and move and find space and move and win balls and get the ball forward to strikers or midfielders who attack. They are there to run and beat men and pass and make goals.
                Defenders passing round the back in many cases is slow, boring and risky. How many times do we see defenders get caught in possession, revert to passing back to the keeper and mis-pass when they should have just got shut of the ball to the midfield. Now it’s not about looking through rose coloured specs it’s just that it’s much better to watch than 5 3 1, 3 5 1 etc. Jimmy C is right though it is about the pace of the game but that tippy tappy stuff sometimes does lead to the slower tempo boring stuff.

jrfatfanjrfatfan
                Player
                  Since when has 442 been about long ball??!! Long ball is more a managerial tac tic..

If the game is played with a good tempo and players get forward into the box at every available opportunity then formation shouldn’t matter too much.

And there’s something to be said for the keeper sending the ball long at times. Especially when you give soft goals away for needless passing around the back.

If you look back to the traditional twin strikers, there was always a big un to pump the ball to and a little un to feed off him. So yes 4-4-2 was traditionally a formation for getting the ball forward quickly and regularly to the big No 9.
                  Despite being a young man, IMHO DS really has a good knowledge of the game.

From Matlock to ManU
                  What a journey!

donnys pageDonnys Page
                  Player

With respect to you JR as a loyal blue I reckon it is all just a preference for individuals which style of play they like to watch. Big man nodding ball down to little nippy striker suited me fine when Roberts was knocking the ball down to Ellington and also with their predecessors. Likewise afterwards until the one striker thingy came in to play with the mighty Jason Scotland. Things changed for the worse for me but I do respect other fans are not into the Ellington/Roberts type thing but prefer the walking it down the field to Scotland type of play. Each to their own.

Heskey was of course the master of the nod down to Henri Camara, but got loads of stick because he didn’t score so many himself.
                    In my footballing formative years of course John Toshack was nodding them down for Kevin Keegan.
                    I too was really impressed by young Mr Sharpe in his interview. A wise head on young shoulders, which of course bodes well for the club’s long term future.

donnys pageDonnys Page
                    Player

Same here but it was a little mixed up with the 4 4 2 direct football bit. My interpretation of direct football is the John Beck at Nob End style.

Personally i think it does not matter what the formation is, as i have at times been bored by watching us play 442, just as much so when watching 433, 532, 352 etc.. However, when we UP the tempo during games, i believe we are a very exciting team to watch. Obviously just my opinion.

donnys pageDonnys Page
                      Player

A valued opinion too Runcorn because even under Bobby when the tempo was raised we looked good and could beat any side.
                        Last season too we turned from the dull to exciting when the tempo was raised.

jimmycjimmyc
                        Player

If you look back to the traditional twin strikers, there was always a big un to pump the ball to and a little un to feed off him. So yes 4-4-2 was traditionally a formation for getting the ball forward quickly and regularly to the big No 9.
                          Despite being a young man, IMHO DS really has a good knowledge of the game.[/quote]

Not entirely true JR, there have been many front two pairings that were anything but long ball. Bergkamp & Henry, cole & Beardsley , Sutton & Shearer so the 442 formation doesn’t mean long ball for me. What you refer to is managerial tac tic.

Anyhow, it’s not up front we need to be worrying about, it’s the defence.

donnys pageDonnys Page
                          Player

Paid off for Sheffield Wednesday today David.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Latics Crazy Forum 4-4-2 explained by DS