4-5-1 or 5-2-1-2

Forums Latics Crazy Forum 4-5-1 or 5-2-1-2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

crap innit?

We need 5-5-5 to give us a chance.

The more that managers seem to think about formations, the duller their teams seem to become. E.g Hoddle, Benitez, Martinez.

Here’s a radical idea. Why doesn’t a team in the Prem play 4-4-2, with a left footer on the left wing and a right footer on the right, one big guy and one littleun up front, and let the players get on with it. No, it’ll never work.

jamescJamesC
      Player

The more that managers seem to think about formations, the duller their teams seem to become. E.g Hoddle, Benitez, Martinez.

Here’s a radical idea. Why doesn’t a team in the Prem play 4-4-2, with a left footer on the left wing and a right footer on the right, one big guy and one littleun up front, and let the players get on with it. No, it’ll never work.

I think the managers know more than you. If it was that simple then it WOULD happen. It may also be too easy to defend against as it is readable..

Sephton01Liam Sephton
        Player

More like 5-4-Messi

Latics.Latics.
          Player

More like 5-4-Messi[/quote]
            7-3-0

I reckon we would be safer with 4-4-2 and cutting out the silly nonsense.

“I think the managers know more than you. If it was that simple then it WOULD happen. It may also be too easy to defend against as it is readable..”

Maybe. But 4-4-2 is the exception, not the rule now. So maybe it would be less readable. Certainly less readable and narrow than 4-5-1 the way the likes of Martinez play it with everything funnelled down the middle.

Wigan Athletic – the thinking man’s club. ‘Gerrit forwards. Hoof it up tert big lad’

It’s little wonder why the DW Stadium and Nou Camp are often uttered in the same breath.

wigmonalec
            Player

Wouldn’t we all,no chance with this mon. :cry:

Wouldn’t we all

The answer to this question (providing it is indeed a question) is a resounding no.

I wonder if the “play 4-4-2, with wingers getting to the bye line and a big ‘un and a little ‘un up front and everything will be reet” brigade ever stop to think why virtually no top level clubs/coaches play that way anymore?

Not saying it’s right, but I’d certainly side with the professional’s way of thinking rather than that of a bunch of message board dwellers like what we are

I think the managers know more than you. If it was that simple then it WOULD happen. It may also be too easy to defend against as it is readable..

and the 50 sideways/backward passes and long diagonal hoof into touch that is martinez’s doctorine is not readable ?

3-5-2

I wonder if the “play 4-4-2, with wingers getting to the bye line and a big ‘un and a little ‘un up front and everything will be reet” brigade ever stop to think why virtually no top level clubs/coaches play that way anymore?

Not saying it’s right, but I’d certainly side with the professional’s way of thinking rather than that of a bunch of message board dwellers like what we are

Coz I think its become the fashionable thing to do (just like when loads of English clubs tried to play the sweeper system after Englands 1990 world cup campaign – when the fact of the matter is that for every “succesful” team that uses it & are held up as a reason for it being “the best way to play football” there are just as many (if not more teams) trying & failing miserably to make it work e.g. Latics
              As I’ve said before many times, I don’t think any system is the right or wrong way in itself to play – it all boils down to whether you have the right personnel to play it. England failed in the world cup in part coz we didn’t take the right squad to play 4-4-2. Latics for the vast majority of last season & two thirds of the current one have looked awful coz we don’t have the personnel capable of playing that system
              United use both 4-5-1 & 4-4-2 depending on which players they have available & who the opposition is coz their manager & squad are adaptable enough

It don’t matter whether you’re a premier league manager/player or a scum sucking message board dweller, its basic common sense that you’ll have the most success if you base your tactics/formations on the players you have available as opposed to rigidly sticking to 1 system regardless of the players you have available
              Despite having had 3 transfer windows I still don’t think Bobby has brought in the right type of players to fit his system but time will tell & I hope I’m wrong

Wouldn’t disagree, TL. I’m just not convinced that this squad of players is a good enough to automatically become better simply by playing 442. It’s a general quality thing, I think.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Latics Crazy Forum 4-5-1 or 5-2-1-2