40 years ago today

Forums Latics Crazy Forum 40 years ago today

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    vincehillvinceHill
    Player

Latic’s played in arguably the biggest ever ( bar the final obviously) FA cup tie against Everton at goodison park.
      No weakened sides and a massive build up that you just wouldn’t see today.
      Memorable for the great performance by Latics and a massive brawl at the end of the game and the near 52,000 attendance.

MR BrownbillMR Brownbill
      Player

Was there and what a fab memory. Pretty sure it was Evertons largest gate that season and Wembley baring Wigans largest ever away support. Don’t recall since as many wigan supporters travelling. Wasn’t Brian Kidd sent off after a scuffle ?

Was there and what a fab memory. Pretty sure it was Evertons largest gate that season and Wembley baring Wigans largest ever away support. Don’t recall since as many wigan supporters travelling. Wasn’t Brian Kidd sent off after a scuffle ?

That game saw Evertons gate receipts broken only to be beat again a few week later in the Merseyside derby. Kidd dismissed for a kick at Neil David’s if my memory is correct.

Zeb2Zeb2
        Player

Remember it well if only for the fact that I couldn’t go !!

I worked in Bryn and management had declared a full stock take that weekend ….3 line whip …no ifs or buts ….anyone going off ‘sick’ would be facing disciplinary action or had better have photographic evidence of being in intensive care or dead.

Without a doubt the biggest game Latics had been in since the Man City cup tie and I couldn’t go …..nor could any of the other lads working in the Parts Dept all of whom were either United or Liverpool fans and home and away regulars

The Liverpool fans who were St Helens/Haydock lads were blazing because Liverpool were playing away at Nottingham Forest and this was a huge ‘revenge game’ for them…..Forest having knocked them out of the European Cup on their way to winning it the prior season and thus ballsing up the Scousers bid for ‘3 in a row’…..and ….they had knocked Liverpool out the League Cup a week or two previously…..so they were desperate to get to the City ground for the game and in the case of one of them at least …a scrap.

Over 20,000 Wiganers made that trip or so the legend goes ….and there should have been one more (I’ve not stopped sulking yet)

Christ I was 21 ….and now I’m not !

EdwardsEdwards
          Player

How did 20 k away fans fit into the tiny paddock behind the goal and relatively small stand above?

For anyone who hasn’t seen it, the highlights are on YouTube

Well I was in the Upper Bullens near the half-way line

bickymonbickymon
            Player

Remember it wll i was in home section latics fans where on my left

dnrdnr
              Player

I was in the three tier stand looking down at the Latics fans packed in. Met Elton (of the rovers ) welsby before the match I the stand!

EdwardsEdwards
                Player

My question is answered, we were everywhere!

For the record I was in the Park End stand with my dad, had a great view of John Brown’s save that won “save of the month”

Still remember the tickets

Everton v Chelsea or Wigan Athletic or Northwitch Victoria.

pemblue 1932pemblue 1932
                  Player

Anyone else get asked “where yous from lad” and then get a slap before you could answer.

I was only 8.

The EggThe Egg
                    Chairman

I didn’t think we had any history

horchorc
                      Manager

I was in the Park End, squashed in like a sardine, you could hardly breath nevermind move.
                        We somehow managed to get up near the back wall where it was a lot safer.
                        Latics fans seemed to be everywhere.

cup winnerscup winners
                        Player

I was only a teenager but I remember it well packed into Goodison. I seem to remember been packed in behind the nets (correct me if I’m wrong).

The one thing I do remember was getting chased for 1/2 a mile by a gang abit older than me and jumping on any coach I could.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Latics Crazy Forum 40 years ago today