£5 Million, Why ?

Forums Latics Crazy Forum £5 Million, Why ?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    blueviewpaul brown
    Player

All the reports suggest that Everton will get Kone for £5 million, his buy out clause is supposed to be £6.5 million & there’s meant to be about 3 clubs interested, I would have thought a little bidding war would have seen the price go higher, wierd that he appears to be off for very little money in Premier league striker terms, why wouldn’t we just keep him ?

the otterthe otter
      Player

It doesn’t work like that. Once somebody offers the asking price we are obliged to accept it. We can’t reject it later because somebody has gone above it. And who actually knows 1) what the buy out clause is and 2) if it actually has been met. All figures are just speculation.

Exactly – if he goes for £5mill then that’s what his buy out clause is. From what i can gather, the only negotiation still going on between Latics & Everton is how much of that Everton pay up front.

UnsworthSteve
        Player

Whelan confirmed yesterday that the get out is 5m. martinez would know that, obviously. We paid 2.7m for him and sell him a year on for 5m. We’ll get two strikers for that money and have boys who want to play for us.

cup winnerscup winners
          Player

and 3) 5 million is a good price for someone who doesn’t want to stay.

and 4) scoring 2 goals in our last 12 games didn’t help our cause either.

blueviewpaul brown
            Player

I suppose £5 million’s not that bad for a striker with the worst first touch in professional football, he knows where the net is and can find space but if any opposing player is in a few yards, it’s nailed on to bounce off Kone .

thty5yearswafctrevor hoy
              Player

from sky

Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan has admitted to receiving three bids for Arouna Kone, with Everton among the interested parties.

Sky Sports revealed on Tuesday that the Toffees had made an approach, with Roberto Martinez planning a raid on his former employees.

Kone has been linked with a switch to Goodison Park ever since it was confirmed that Martinez was to leave the Latics for Merseyside.

He has a £5million buy-out clause in his contract and is looking to activate that following Wigan’s relegation out of the Premier League.

Everton are prepared to offer him an immediate return to the top flight, but they face competition for the Ivorian’s signature from two other clubs.

Whelan said on a possible deal: “Three clubs have made offers for Kone – Everton is one – as he had a clause in his contract that he could go if someone paid £5m.

“I think he will go to Everton.”

It was Kones agent who alerted everyone of a buyout clause in his contract in a Spanish newspaper article , he quoted the figure of 6.5 million, but he was quoting euros.

We will get somewhere in the region of £5.5 million for him.

Whelan is also playing hardball with Everton and demanding the fee be paid in full as he did with WBA when they triggered Nathan Ellingtons buy out clause, something he is perfectly entitled to do.

One of the other offers is from Norwich, and the reason we have been linked with Grant Holt, apparently they have offered Holt plus cash for Kone.

MR BrownbillMR Brownbill
                Player

Good business i.m.o…..poor mans Heskey ,touch of a rhino.Difficult job now is finding a finisher who will bag 20 plus a season in this league,a difficult task.Or will we use the 5 mill on wages for 4 players rather than transfer fees ?

Good business i.m.o…..poor mans Heskey ,touch of a rhino.Difficult job now is finding a finisher who will bag 20 plus a season in this league,a difficult task.Or will we use the 5 mill on wages for 4 players rather than transfer fees ?

I’d guess most would be used on wages as £2M – £3M strikers will be wanting Premier League football.

bigroybigroy
                  Player

Seems a daft clause to me in a league where 5 million is bugger all. So if he had scored 25 (rather than 11) in the Premier league last season we would have still got 5 million? Its not the worst bit of business we have done but it hardly looks shrewd. Will be glad to not sign any more African players as you lose em for 2 months every 2 years for the African nations which is too disruptive.

Seems a daft clause to me in a league where 5 million is bugger all. So if he had scored 25 (rather than 11) in the Premier league last season we would have still got 5 million? Its not the worst bit of business we have done but it hardly looks shrewd. Will be glad to not sign any more African players as you lose em for 2 months every 2 years for the African nations which is too disruptive.

He may not have wanted to sign for us without a reasonable release clause.

As far as I am aware it was only activated upon relegation which was never a part of the plan going forward.

I think Kone improved as the season went on. He led the team and held the ball up on his own. He showed that he can play as part of a team.

He’s certainly a Premier League forward. I enjoyed watching him and I doubt that we will see anyone as good for some time.

We’ll see how he gets on next season.

bigroybigroy
                    Player

http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/57937-Kone

These lads seem delighted with him. 29 goals in six seasons they say. Do they not know Di Santos on a free?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Latics Crazy Forum £5 Million, Why ?