5-4-Friday… 5 decent jobs

Forums Non Football Stuff 5-4-Friday… 5 decent jobs

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    SammySammy
    Player

So, am I to believe some of that money you earned as a kid went towards supporting Man United? ;)

So, am I to believe some of that money you earned as a kid went towards supporting Man United? ;)

I don’t think I ever spent a single penny as a kid watching Manchester United. My mate’s dad (or probably my dad) spent the money for the handful of games I went to as a 7-year old back in 1972/73.

I certainly didn’t spend any money on scarves and public transport from Wigan to Old Trafford as I am led to believe that some other stalwarts of this forum did. But that’s a story for another time – maybe tonight at half time, if I see you, and we are both sufficiently bored to be bothered to discuss it. ;)

My first job was at Parry’s in Frog Lane and I was paid £7 50 a week. The slaughter house was still there then and all you could hear was the animals squealing as they met their end. Best job I have had was at Butlins Skegness and now as a trucker I have the worst job.

filmossfilmoss
      Player
        My first job was at Parry’s in Frog Lane and I was paid £7 50 a week. The slaughter house was still there then and all you could hear was the animals squealing as they met their end. Best job I have had was at Butlins Skegness and now as a trucker I have the worst job.

So now you hear the women squealing as they meet their end, your coat is covered in blood and is therefore a red coat and you are a long distance lorry driver, no change then really!

PS- How many women have you murdered? :)

There was no slaughterhouse anywhere near Parry’s in Frog Lane, the animal noises you heard was from Wigan Cattle Market which was owned and operated by J.Trickett and sons Ltd. Auctioneers of King Street Wigan, who just happened to be my first part time employers other than an earlier paper round and Saturdays at a wholesale butchers 50 yards from Parry’s called Morris and Sons.

There was no slaughterhouse anywhere near Parry’s in Frog Lane, the animal noises you heard was from Wigan Cattle Market which was owned and operated by J.Trickett and sons Ltd. Auctioneers of King Street Wigan, who just happened to be my first part time employers other than an earlier paper round and Saturdays at a wholesale butchers 50 yards from Parry’s called Morris and Sons.[/quote]

LMB, the place im on about was somewhere behind Parrys possibly Prescott Street area but it was close enough to be able to hear not just the squeals but the bolt guns going off as well, was horrible. Also we had a real problem with rats and mice which old man Parry said was down to said place. Was in 1974 I worked there marrer.

There was no slaughterhouse anywhere near Parry’s in Frog Lane, the animal noises you heard was from Wigan Cattle Market which was owned and operated by J.Trickett and sons Ltd. Auctioneers of King Street Wigan, who just happened to be my first part time employers other than an earlier paper round and Saturdays at a wholesale butchers 50 yards from Parry’s called Morris and Sons.[/quote]

LMB, the place im on about was somewhere behind Parrys possibly Prescott Street area but it was close enough to be able to hear not just the squeals but the bolt guns going off as well, was horrible. Also we had a real problem with rats and mice which old man Parry said was down to said place. Was in 1974 I worked there marrer.[/quote]

I was born and bred just up Gidlow Lane 500yds from Parry’s, I actually remember the old terraced houses being knocked down and Parry’s being built the place was definitely Wigan Cattle Market which sold cattle, pigs and sheep and every now and again it had horse sales. The entrance gate was to the left of Parry’s on the corner of Prescott Street and ran all the way down to the railway, the boundary high wall is still visible.

It was where we played as kids in the mid 60’s and where I had a part time job in my summer holidays from school from about 1970ish for 5 or 6 years, it was never a slaughter house in those days, although you are correct about the rats it was riddled with them, and where we as youngsters developed our airgun skills.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Non Football Stuff 5-4-Friday… 5 decent jobs