5-4-Friday… American Englands

Forums Non Football Stuff 5-4-Friday… American Englands

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    The EggThe Egg
    Chairman

The changing of an S to a Z in words such as criticise and authorise fecks me off as well.

The Oxford Dictionaries’ site says;

“There’s a widespread belief that these spellings belong only to American English, and that British English should use the ‘-ise’ forms instead, i.e. realise, finalise, and organise.

In fact, the ‘-ize’ forms have been in use in English spelling since the 15th century: they didn’t originate in American use, even though they are now standard in US English.”

So you have a choice. However, neither correct spelling nor conventional grammar concerns most posters here. It makes a refreshing change when a poster ends a sentence with a full stop and starts the next one with a capital letter.

Then there’s the UK road sign – Road liable to flooding.

Surely this is wrong. Shouldn’t it be either Road liable to flood or Road subject to flooding?

Michael Gove should get onto this straightaway. Mind you, he does look like a traffic accident waiting to happen.

rossmci90ross
      Player

Aluminium was originally spelt and pronounced the American way before being changed to fit in with the convention of ending elements with ium. Coming from the Latin “alumen” for bitter salt, aluminum does seem like an appropriate spelling.

I post many of my colourised pictures on an American site, Uni Watch.

At weekends they run a feature “Colorize This”. I always tell them it’s “Colourise”. They’ve got used to me now.

And that it’s “football”, not “soccer” :)

In 1847, Oscar Wilde wrote in The Canterville Ghost;

‘We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language.’

Zeb2Zeb2
        Player

That’s a tad early for Oscar, WGTB ….

Anyroad as irritating as American English is (especially in Microsoft and Apple worlds )… The argument goes that theirs is the purer English, in that their spellings were what they took over there with ’em in the17th/18th centuries and has been in splendid isolation since, whereas ‘our English’ has been repeatedly altered and influenced (corrupted ?) by “Johnny Continental” and his ilk !

You’re quite right; it was apparently published in 1882.

Oscar Fingal O’Flahertie Wills Wilde (16 October 1854 – 30 November 1900); I wonder what career his parents had in mind for him when they chose those names.

Some of the American spellings were deliberately introduced by Noah Webster;

“He believed fervently in the developing cultural independence of the United States, a chief part of which was to be a distinctive American language with its own idiom, pronunciation, and style.

“One facet of Webster’s importance was his willingness to innovate when he thought innovation meant improvement. He was the first to document distinctively American vocabulary such as skunk, hickory, and chowder.

“Reasoning that many spelling conventions were artificial and needlessly confusing, he urged altering many words: musick to music, centre to center, and plough to plow, for example.”

thty5yearswafctrevor hoy
          Player

int google great :woohoo: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

What’s with the big Yankee love-in? :huh:

You’ll all be saying that the Aussies are OK, next :S

SammySammy
            Player

Missing you already…!

Missing you already…!

It’s the inane Latics/Martinez stuff I’m fed up with, that’s all ;)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Non Football Stuff 5-4-Friday… American Englands