5-4Friday… 5 World Cup memories #1

Forums Latics Crazy Forum 5-4Friday… 5 World Cup memories #1

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    vincehillvinceHill
    Player

Maybe they were not wearing tartan exactly but I remember people getting behind them as part of Great Britain and the English media certainly supported their campaign.
      remember this was the year after the silver jubilee and people were a lot more patriotic back then- not sure they would have done it for us though .

I must have been in the minority. I certainly remember celebrating Peru’s goals in a WMC. I did get challenged as to why and replied along the lines of ‘They hate us because we exist, we hate them because they want to see us die’ Now where have I heard that before? Braveheart my arse!

Holland 1974,possibly the greatest team I have ever seen. Jack Taylor was the ref in the final and imho helped the despicable Germans triumph over the Oranje.

Ari Hahn,s goal v Italy and Dino Zoff and Dennis Bergkamp v Argentina 2 wonder goals in different WC,s also memorable.

My sympathies were with Holland too, but West Germany deserved to win. And they might have won by more.

Jack Taylor, correctly, gave Holland a first minute penalty. However, many referees might have waved play on so early in the game.

In the second half, a second Muller goal was wrongly disallowed, and an appeal for a penalty was dismissed when Holzenbein fell in the area.

Holland 1974,possibly the greatest team I have ever seen. Jack Taylor was the ref in the final and imho helped the despicable Germans triumph over the Oranje.

Ari Hahn,s goal v Italy and Dino Zoff and Dennis Bergkamp v Argentina 2 wonder goals in different WC,s also memorable.

Some good stories of the 1974 world cup, but I believe the German dirty tricks the night before the final were disgusting. Keeping the Dutch team up with fans outside the hotel and calling them through the night.

Some good stories of the 1974 world cup, but I believe the German dirty tricks the night before the final were disgusting. Keeping the Dutch team up with fans outside the hotel and calling them through the night.[/quote]

Didn’t the Dutch suffer a similar thing in Argentina in 78?. I seem to remember one of the Dutch players had wore a cast on his wrist throughout the whole tournament then the Argies protested before the final. Cant remember the details but im sure I didn’t imagine it.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Latics Crazy Forum 5-4Friday… 5 World Cup memories #1