40 nations

Forums Latics Crazy Forum 40 nations

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Would this be their actual nationality or the country they have represented at international level?

Chimbonda was from Guadeloupe but played for France
    The Observer really needs to clarify this!! ;)

Just a note – Guadeloupe is a territory of France/inhabitants have french citizenship – so I don’t think that one matters – though still an important distinction in all the other cases listed.
    (Aside – FIFA doesn’t recognize Guadeloupe because of this, but they do play in CONACACAF’s championships – if they were a separate country, some of those french teams may not have had as much success – I believe both Henry, Thuram, and 1-2 others are actually from Guadeloupe, not France proper).[/quote]

Guadeloupe is a separate country but is an overseas territory of France & as such the population is entitled to French citizenship.
    Pretty similar to how say the Falkland Islands are overseas territory of the UK & as such it’s population is entitled to British citizenship (& could play for any of the 4 home nations) but it is still classed as a country in it’s own right
    Well that’s how it’s seen by some anyway but then you start to get into the discussions of what is a nation? what is a country? what is a nation state? and from what little I remember of that when studying international politics, it’s best left well alone!!!

Anonymous

Just to mention, whilst he was approached by the Cayman Islands, Fifa stopped Ged Brannan actually representing them, along with a couple of other English based players, so I’m assuming that rules him out of counting.

Does anybody remember RICHARD BROLLY from circa 1991-92? Was he American, or was he English and just playing in America? (Indoor league, I think) He only played once or twice, but he did score a goal.

We were also close to signing two Russians from Torpedo Moscow after playing them in 1990-ish. However red-tape prevented it.

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Latics Crazy Forum 40 nations